Field Trips for GSOC Members
Upcoming Field Trips
Join us for a one day field trip to study Missoula Floods gravel and cobble deposits, and Boring volcanism in Clark County on Saturday, June 17, 2017. Tour will be given by Bill Montgomery, CEMEX Executive, and GSOC Past Presidents Bo Nonn and Larry Purchase.
Come see billion-year-old building stones and the fossils hidden under our feet. Join us for a two-hour outdoor walking tour of downtown Portland’s geological mysteries and oddities. This tour is open to the public.
Bring potluck item, $5, and a chair to sit on! Member event.
We can't get enough of exploring Downtown Portland Building Stone! If you missed our Spring tour or just want to see more interesting buildings, join us for this two-hour walking tour of more of downtown Portland's geological mysteries and oddities. This tour is open to public.
Stay tuned for our 2017 Schedule.
Our Previous Adventures
What to Bring on a GSOC Field Trip
- Bring boots, raincoats, layered clothing even if it's not raining. Be prepared to get wet and muddy.
- Pack a lunch unless a lunch destination is announced, then bring lunch money.
- You must be a member of GSOC or a guest of a member to participate in the field trips. Become a member of GSOC!
- The GSOC Board has decided that a registration fee will be charged on GSOC field trips. Refer to the trip description for the fee.
- We encourage carpooling and may need to mandate carpooling on certain trips if parking space is limited at the stops on the trip. People who carpool are also asked to share the cost of the gasoline for the vehicle in which they are riding.