Field Trips for GSOC Members
Upcoming Field Trips
This car caravan/carpool field trip will focus on the diverse geology of Idaho’s Snake River Plain and the granitic core and the exterior ‘skin’ of the Albion Mountains/Middle Mountain region. The trip will be based in Boise for three nights (June 2, 3, 7) and Twin Falls for three nights (June 4, 5, 6). Participants will rendezvous in Boise the morning of June 3 after traveling from Portland the previous day. Some light walking/hiking will be on the agenda (maximum 1.6 miles one way) and moderate elevation gain (approx. 200 ft.). Most travel will be on paved roads but also there is about 46 miles of good quality gravel, four miles of graded dirt track, and two miles of a dirt track with a few patches of ruts and rocks, which is negotiable by normal clearance vehicles.
Stay tuned for our 2017 Schedule.
Our Previous Adventures
What to Bring on a GSOC Field Trip
- Bring boots, raincoats, layered clothing even if it's not raining. Be prepared to get wet and muddy.
- Pack a lunch unless a lunch destination is announced, then bring lunch money.
- You must be a member of GSOC or a guest of a member to participate in the field trips. Become a member of GSOC!
- The GSOC Board has decided that a registration fee will be charged on GSOC field trips. Refer to the trip description for the fee.
- We encourage carpooling and may need to mandate carpooling on certain trips if parking space is limited at the stops on the trip. People who carpool are also asked to share the cost of the gasoline for the vehicle in which they are riding.