Board Meeting Notes

President Janet Rasmussen called the meeting to order at the home of Rosemary Kenney. Other board members in attendance constituting quorum were Bo Nonn, Dawn Juliano, Paul Edison-Lahm, Kirben Smoody, Marty Muncie, and Larry Purchase, Sheila Alfsen, John Piccininni. Also in attendance were Rosemary, Rik Smoody, Jane Walcott, Dave Olcott, Julia Lanning, and Doug Rasmussen. The minutes of the December 5th, 2015 board meeting were approved.

Oops, the board forgot to hold the election of officers at the February meeting! They have decided to hold the election at the annual banquet.

The Treasurer’s report was approved. Contributions are coming in at the club’s Friday night meetings. Thank you members!


Friday night lectures: Rik is taking recommendations for upcoming speakers.

Snack committee: Marty needs volunteers, no cooking required.

Janet reports that the audio visual training at PSU was very helpful and notes that the AV department is open until 7:00 p.m. and phone number is posted if we need help on Friday nights. Janet is now trained to run the equipment.

Field Trips

Downtown Tour North Tour (Paul) went well with about a dozen people showing up in the middle of December. We will want to offer another full sized multi-guide Downtown trip for the summer.

Urban Cave: (Bo) 16 people came, including several GSOCers, for this Mazama hike.

Eastern Gorge Trip, June 11-12th: Dave Olcott reports that planning is moving along. He has commitments from geologists Steve Reidel, Terry Tolan and Jim Anderson; and has reserved two vans reserved to accommodate about 24 people. Trip signup will begin at the banquet.

President’s Trip to SW Oregon: (Bo) this post-labor day September trip will include the Oregon Caves and the Josephine Ophiolite. Bo is making connections with geologists in SW Oregon and welcomes suggestions.

Eclipse Aug. 21st, 2017 field trip: Rik will research possible locations including Delintment Lake and Mitchell, Oregon.

GSOC Iceland trip: Sheila and Jane will research.

Community Outreach/PSU: AEG/CORIBA: Sheila has been responding to numerous school requests. She will be presenting with Bill Orr at Pacific NW College of Art. Kirben reports that AEG may be scheduling a field trip to Bull Run and may invite GSOC members.

Annual Banquet: Planning for this event is coming along; speaker and food are planned. Janet needs volunteers after board meeting for folding and taping place cards.

Annual Picnic: Dawn and Larry will research Tualatin area sites.


Storage of DOGAMI materials: Larry will hand out some Oregon Geology magazines at banquet. Rosemary has donated two books for auction.

Media Committee/Newsletter redesign (Carol/Paul): Carol has done a great job with the newsletter design which now captures our web content including images and also provides us with pdf archives. Paul reports that the media survey was not needed because Wes Mahan has stepped up and volunteered as Media Assistant to assist with our Meetup site.

GSOC Brochure: Janet circulated draft of the brochure to general approval. Only change is to the dues notice will now read “Dues paid after November will count for the following year.” Printing options were discussed.

GSOC Business Cards: the board approved Paul’s rough draft of the business card. He will send out a final draft for review and then print 500 business cards.

Board/Officer Recruitment. Ideas for volunteer opportunities to develop future GSOC leadership are needed. The brochure does mention that there are opportunities for leadership.

New Member Outreach: Janet will continue as New Member Outreach Coordinator when her term as President expires.

Dave Olcott notes that people are having problem hearing at lectures. Rik will insure that speaker has laser pointer. Janet will bring the microphone.

Next board meeting at Rosemary’s at 10:00 a.m., April 9th.

Notes compiled from board meeting minutes submitted by GSOC Secretary Paul Edison-Lahm.