Field Trips for GSOC Members
Upcoming Field Trips
This is a Central Oregon Geoscience Society field trip.
This field trip will explore recent mafic volcanism in the McKenzie Pass and Santiam Pass areas, with a focus on the Sand Mountain volcanic field. We will look at recent lava flows and tephra deposits, and at rivers, lakes, and groundwater that have been shaped by volcanic activity. We will also discuss hazards associated with mafic volcanic activity, including forest fires, disruption of water routes, and damage to infrastructure, agriculture, and tourism.
Our sister club Central Oregon Geoscience Society (COGS) has extended an invitation for this field trip to GSOC members. This offers a great opportunity for meeting fellow geology enthusiasts and for building ties between our two organizations. More information and registration on the COGS website.
Two Day Field Trip to Oregon’s Coast Range
Mary’s Peak, Sat. July 13
Join President Sheila Alfsen on a trip to the tallest point in Oregon’s Coast range. We will explore the rocks and geologic processes that made Oregon’s Island in the Sky. Participants will drive to Corvallis and carpool for the day-trip up to the top.
Hwy 20 from Corvallis to Newport, Sun. July 14
A tour along the newly constructed Hwy 20 from Corvallis to Newport. This one day trip will explore the fantastic road cuts of the Tyee formation of the Coast range. GSOC’s Clay Kelleher will show us the mitigation procedures that were employed to make this once unlucky and seemingly doomed highway a reality. Participants will gather at Ellmaker State Wayside near Blodgett to consolidate cars for the tour.
$45 Registration fee includes field guide. However lodging and meals are on your own.
What to Bring on a GSOC Field Trip
- Bring boots, raincoats, layered clothing even if it's not raining. Be prepared to get wet and muddy.
- Pack a lunch unless a lunch destination is announced, then bring lunch money.
- You must be a member of GSOC or a guest of a member to participate in the field trips. Become a member of GSOC!
- The GSOC Board has decided that a registration fee will be charged on GSOC field trips. Refer to the trip description for the fee.
- We encourage carpooling and may need to mandate carpooling on certain trips if parking space is limited at the stops on the trip. People who carpool are also asked to share the cost of the gasoline for the vehicle in which they are riding.